Sunday, July 15, 2012

Salmon Bay

Salmon Bay by megan_n_smith_99
Salmon Bay, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Today I went for a longer-than-i-expected walk. I actually got lost (ok, slightly) in the woods, just over a mile from my house. (I actually did not even know it was possibly to get slightly lost in the woods that close to my house so it was rather exciting. I kept my eyes peeled for animals but only saw birds and gopher holes.)

This photo was taken from Commodore Park. It's on the South side of The Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, over near the fish ladder. I manipulated this photo in instagram. I like the sort of vintage look of this filter. My grandmother and her parents might have seen the view from this angle when the locks opened in 1917. My grandmother was 8 years old and went through the tunnel under the locks before it opened (now flooded). She was so afraid someone would "turn on the water" that she cried.

Back in 1917 this view actually would have shown more industry and active fishing boats. Now you see fancy houses and more pleasure boats. I'm glad there are long stretches on both sides that are still open to the public. (Commodore Park and the Carl S. English, Jr., Botanical Garden, which are on the same land as the locks, which are also open to the public.)

No comments: