Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Luminous World

Luminous World by megan_n_smith_99
Luminous World, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

This painting is from last year. I am really enjoying working in pencil, but I miss watercolor and I have a commission so I will be doing some watercolor again soon - maybe later this week.

Most of the colors featured in this watercolor come from Daniel Smith's quinacridone watercolor set which my friend Jesse gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago and which I still use all the time. Tube watercolors really go a long ways! Actually, good watercolors really go a long way. I still remember when I was about 15 and I got my 1st good watercolor brush. I was still using cheap watercolors but having a good brush was pretty exciting and allowed me to achieve details I never could have managed otherwise. I can't remember exactly when I started using good paints. I might have used Koi tube paints first - they are not that good really but better than dime-store watercolors. At some point I had a tube set of Winsor and Newton Cotman tubes - only I think they were called London then. And at one point I also had a travel set of Winsor and Newton pans.

Then I bought my first Daniel Smith tubes and I never looked back. I would like to try some more brands still, and I'd like to try some higher-end pans, but watercolors are expensive and I am really set for colors with all the DS tubes I have now.

There is really something to be said for using quality art supplies.


Luminous World is available on Etsy. It is 9 x 12 inches.

No comments: