Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dragon Scales

dragon scales by megan_n_smith_99
dragon scales, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

When i was in 3rd grade, on Vashon Island, my twin sister's teacher, Mrs. Eggleston, gave her whole class permission slips for their parents to sign, giving her permission to pick up all her students on saturday nights, on her flying dragon, and take them to the dragon's cave. sometimes on monday mornings the students would find glass "gems" on their desks. i was allowed to participate too because my twin was in her class. I am sure that, and an early viewing of Rankin/ Bass' animated version of The Hobbit influenced my idea of dragons. When I was a teenager, I drew dragons almost every day - wild colorful furry dragons inspired by Chinese dragons and by The Luckdragon in The Neverending Story film.

And today I still do not have dragons out of my system, so I still paint colorful layered scales. This painting was for a commission but there are 2 smaller ones in my Etsy Shop.

The job interview today did not actually happen. The job listing did not mention that a car was required. The telephone interview did not mention it. The job application did not mention it. But when I got there the interviewer asked me if I had trouble parking and I said that I took the bus and she asked if I had a car. I said no and she explained that the company would not hire anyone without a car and showed me out. It was rather discouraging. It's an office job, not a driving job. It's the first time I have found myself in this situation when a car was required for any employee at a business that did not involve driving or delivery.

Back to the job hunt AND back to the drawing board. Actually I am finishing a large drawing now and hope to have it done to show you tomorrow.

No comments: