Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Landscape in Mist

Landscape in Mist by megan_n_smith_99
Landscape in Mist, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Summer is still a time of mist and fog in the Pacific Northwest. Most mornings lately I've woken up and looked out my window, not able to see the hills across the ship canal. Listening to fog horns in the distance.

On Vashon Island, where I grew up, we used to stand out on the corner in the mornings, waiting for the school bus. The fog was often so thick that all we could see were 2 glowing lights approaching. We used to pretend we were under water, watching some leviathan approaching.

Those memories and feelings have probably shaped my notion of landscape, or earth and sky.

"The texture of the world, its filigree and scrollwork, means that there is a possibility for beauty here, a beauty inexhaustible in its complexity, which opens to my knock, which answers in me a call I do not remember calling, and which trains me to the wild and extravagant nature of the spirit I seek.”
― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

Landscape in Mist
4 x 6"
Watercolor on paper
Available on Etsy.

No comments: