Saturday, January 28, 2012

Soul Mate Dolls / Orange and Purple

dollbook10 by megan_n_smith_99
dollbook10, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I am at the moment particularly enjoying purple and orange together, also hot pink, magenta, or fuchsia and orange together.

In the early days of my beading, when i was just out of my teens, I did a lot of monochromatic bead embroidery. It was very pretty and subtle and I still do like using white and ivory together.

In the mid 90s, when i started working for Dale Chihuly, taking care of and tracking his artwork, I was surrounded by amazing color every day. You can't see that sort of thing every day for 15 years and walk away untouched. The basic aesthetic of my work has not changed but somewhere along the line my use of color did. I am now quite comfortable using unexpected color combinations and contrasting colors together.

I can't remember exactly when I created this doll - I'd have to go back and find my notes - but it must have been late 90s to early 2000s. If you look closely you can see the dolls represent Yin and Yang and the colors flow from one doll to the next. Both dolls can be removed from their velvet lined box and are beaded on the top and the bottom.

And I am also working on some watercolors now that feature orange and purple together which is what made me think of this doll.

Soul Mates
4" diameter
beads, charms, Ultrasuede, paper mache craft box, acrylic paints, and velvet

Visit Dale Chihuly's website!.

No comments: