Friday, January 13, 2012

Parliament of Owls, Gone-Away Lake, and some thoughts of Seattle's Hills

Parliament of Owls by megan_n_smith_99
Parliament of Owls, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I was feeling sniffly when I woke up yesterday and wondered if i was coming down with something. I am going to say yes, or that was what I was convinced of after i woke up from a long complicated dream involving time travel and Lewis Carroll. Also I think Lewis Carroll was cross-dressing.

I felt a bit better in the evening though and finished this little painting while listening to the audio book of Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright. This was a favorite of mine when I was growing up. Two cousins stumble upon the ruins of a dozen old houses around a swamp. The swamp used to be a lake and the residents all abandoned their elaborate victorian houses when the lake went dry - that is all except a pair of plucky elderly siblings, Minnehaha Cheever and Pindar Payton.

It's freezing out (okay, not quite literally but pretty close) and they say it might snow this weekend. I'll believe it IF i see it. The part of Seattle I live in is almost as sea level and it does not usually snow here even if it snows on some of the hills. Did you know what Seattle was built on 7 hills - like Rome? Only when I was looking that up I found out no one can even agree which hills are the 7. And one of them doesn't even exist anymore. It was dumped in the Puget Sound to make Harbor Island. Well, anyhow, people make fun of how panicked people in Seattle get when it snows, but really it's not much fun to deal with snow on HILLS.

Parliament of Owls
5 x 5 inches
Watercolor and ink on paper
Available on Etsy.

No comments: