Thursday, January 19, 2012

Palace at Sunset, the weather, and creative road repair.

Palace at Sunset by megan_n_smith_99
Palace at Sunset, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.


Palace at Sunset
8 x 10 inches
watercolor and ink on paper
available on etsy.

Seattle continues to be shut down and frantic about it. We don't have enough snowplows and things, but really that is not something I would be spending money on now if I was in charge. Because it really does not snow very often and it's probably cheaper and safer to have people go into hibernation mode for a few days a year (if that) rather than spend a lot of money on equipment. Now if we had any extra spare cash around we could fix some potholes. That would improve driving conditions in any weather.

I live near the old part of Ballard. It used to be downtown, until the main business zone shifted north to Market Street. For a while it was the shabby part of town - the part of town where you went to find beer or a brothel. Now it is trendy again, and the dive bars have mostly been replaced by hipster bars and boutiques. It's a pleasant place to go for art walk, the sunday market, live music, and my favorites: an amazing toy store and a gelato place.

Anyway, this area was once paved with bricks that now have a thin layer of asphalt over them, and the asphalt has been known to wear away. I saw a pothole down there that someone had done a do-it-yourself repair to: filled it with trash (mostly flattened tin cans) and covered with several layers of duct tape. Needless to say this was being worn away or I would not have been able to see what was under the duct tape. But I offer up points for creativity.

This is my latest painting and I am very happy with it. I am not always entirely happy with my paintings. Often I am feeling pretty mixed about them and put them away for a few days but then get them back out and decide I am pleased after all. And in this case I was pleased to he happy with my painting without having to go through the separation step.

I'll be staying in today and amusing myself, we'll see what I come up with. I'm not feeling so great. I think eating healthy this week has actually made me feel worse, but I have some GI / food intolerances which I very tricky to deal with.

Aren't I chatty today? I realize I have not socialized other than on-line in over a week. I did not try to go to my knitting group last night and I doubt anyone else did either. I have some things to say about my reading material at the moment so I might actually post twice in one day! We'll see.

No comments: