Monday, February 6, 2012

Tardis! and Half Broke Horses

Tardis by megan_n_smith_99
Tardis, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Well, I did not watch the Super Bowl. I am not sure who played. But what I did do yesterday was finish this painting. It might lead to a series, particularly if there is interest. I sort of envisioned it as the Tardis traveling through .. well, whatever fold or wrinkle in time, worlds, and reality that the Tardis travels through. However I am not sure if I really conveyed that or not. It was at least my intention. It is 8 x 10 inches and is available on Etsy.

I've been reading bios lately. Sometimes I like to sort of lose myself in someone else's life. I guess it is as close as you can come to imagining how another person feels in their skin. The most recent was Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. I quite enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes bios, or is interested in the history and geography of texas or Arizona, or to anyone interested in what it was like back in the homesteading days. She calls it a "True-Life Novel." It's based on the life of her grandmother, Lily Casey Smith, and she's written it from her grandmother's perspective which is why she decided to call it a novel, as she had to sort of imagine some of what her grandmother thought and felt -- maybe not too much though, Lily was a woman who spoke her mind. Lily was a gun-toting, horse-breaking, poker-playing, airplane flying school marm. A character you'll never forget.

1 comment:

Tara Finlay said...

That sounds like an interesting book. I read her book "The Glass Castle" and I must have liked it because I kept it through 4 moves. The thing about memoirs for me, is seeing that someone else lived through "it." Whatever "it" is. I just had to go back and remind myself about her particular memoir, as I am an avid reader of memoirs, and found that there is a video on her amazon.com page about The Glass Castle. Worth a look: http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Castle-Memoir-Jeannette-Walls/dp/074324754X