Sunday, December 30, 2012

Recent Sketch & More Notes on Art Supplies.

Sketching by megan_n_smith_99
Sketching, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

...It was really sort of a doodle but if you add shading to a doodle, I think it's respectable enough to call it a sketch. This was not all done with the 2B pencil shown, there is some darker pencil in there as well. I forget what it was - something I bought to experiment on and am not too impressed with. My favorite lately is 6B. There are a few brands I like. I think my favorites are:

STAEDTLER Mars Lumograph Drafting Pencil

&


Koh-I-Noor Toison-d’Or Graphite Pencil

Though if you want something fun & trendy you could also try the Palomino Blackwing 602.

The paper I used is Stonehenge. I recommend something with a little tooth. I don't normally use stonehenge for watercolor, though it is thick enough for a little mixed media, so I may try doing a light wash over this sketch. The gum arabic in the watercolor will actually set the graphite so it does not smear. I use water pretty sparingly, but then I usually use a little restraint with my water when it comes to watercolor - that's how I get vivid colors and fine details. And there is some layering too.

I like using a heavy paper that can take some blending on the paper - lately Arches 140 lb and 300 lb - either cold press or rough press. I like either one in blocks, but I like to use 300 lb if It's not on a block. Mostly because I don't have to mount it on anything. It can stand up to a lot so you can also do acrylics on it and mixed media.

I hope to do some cleaning on New Year's Eve (my life, so exciting) and some artwork on New Year's Eve. More exciting. Seems like a good way to start the year.

No comments: