Monday, September 17, 2012

Terrarium that you can't kill

terrarium by megan_n_smith_99
terrarium, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

When I was growing up on a farm on Vashon Island, I belonged to 4-H. For a little while we* belonged to a group that focused on fauna, but then we switched to a group that focused on flora. We had our own garden, in which as I recall we grew radishes. We must have grown other things as well but radishes stand out in my mind. I do not even like radishes. And we grew a lot of indoor plants also. And learned the proper way to prune trees and other things. But I must say I have forgotten most of it. I think if civilization as we know it collapsed that I cold manage to get by, but I have lost of expertise. And every plant I get now dies. Some of them die within a few hours of entering my home. I love succulents and have been eyeing all the cute little container gardens and succulents on the web. But I just know better than to try. So THIS is my kind of Terrarium. You don't need to water it. It does not require sunlight. And your cat will not eat it and then spit up on the rug.AND it's 4 x 6" so will fit a standard sized frame. What's not to like?

*i am a twin and i find i automatically say "we" instead of "i" when speaking of my childhood. It's not the royal "we", though. I am not putting on airs!



Terrarium
4 x 6"
pen and ink
Available on Etsy.

2 comments:

Marti said...

The grew-some gardeners! Remember growing potatoes and carrots, secretive plants that keep their produce hidden until the last moment? Remember growing dahlias?

Megan Noel said...

the people who live at the farm now seem to have demolished any sign of garden, flower beds, etc. i bet the dahlia's tried to fight back.