Tuesday, September 4, 2012

All-Seeing Fungi

All-Seeing Fungi by megan_n_smith_99
All-Seeing Fungi, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Can you find the owl hiding in this drawing? He requested to be be featured but he did not want to take front and center stage.

It truly feels like summer is winding down. The nights are cooler and the air feels thin and weak. Most of the children I know will be back to school tomorrow. I wonder if they are selecting their first day of school outfits and lunches, or if they are intent on enjoying their last burst of freedom. I can remember being pretty excited to go back to school at least when I was in grade school. I still feel a little thrill when I see a new pencil box, or box of crayons, or shiny blank notebook. It was easy to believe, back then, that one could write the great American novel if one only had the right BLANK notebook and the right pen. Now I know that what we create comes from all of the things within that we have spent our lives collecting - not from without, not from school supplies, no matter how exciting they are. (I briefly goggled this and it appears that Abraham Lincoln did NOT write the Gettysburg Address on the back of an envelope - how disappointing. It would have made my case perfectly if he had - one can create anywhere, with whatever one has at hand.)

All-Seeing Fungi
4 x 6"
Pen & Ink
Available on Etsy.

No comments: