Sunday, May 6, 2012

how to make lavender sachets

lavender sachets by megan_n_smith_99
lavender sachets, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I wish this photo were a bit better. I did not check it before I mailed these off! They are a little washed out here. I thought I would show you these in case you are looking for a small and simple project for mother's day. I started by cutting out a bunch of 2x2" squares from various fabrics. I used my rotary cutter but you could also use scissors. After I had a nice selection to chose from I selected squares to go together and pieced them on my machine. I almost did it by hand - it would be good to do in front of the tv. i might do more by hand. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then I trimmed them down a little and squared them up. The backs are not pieced, just one square. It'll be a bit smaller than 4x4" when you take into account that there was a seam allowance in the top part. Put the back and front right sides together, and stitch w/ 1/4" seam allowance, leaving an opening on one side to fill the sachet. clip and turn, then fill the sachet w/ dried lavender. I used a small measuring spoon to do this. Then I covered 3 small buttons with fabric. I think these buttons were 3/8". I sewed the buttons on top, stitched up the opening, and they were done! great for using up scraps or fat quarters.

these directions should make sense if you are a sewer, but if you have questions, just ask!

No comments: