Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beaded Dolls

Beaded Dolls by megan_n_smith_99
Beaded Dolls, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Yesterday I said I would show you two of my most colorful beaded dolls. When I started doing beadwork I did a lot of monochromatic pieces - a lot of black and white, and some other colors. When I did mix colors it was just colors that were next to each other on the color wheel (blue and green mostly.) But during my years of working for Dale Chihuly I was certainly around a lot of color! He often uses contrasting colors together. Not always colors directly opposite on the color wheel, but close, like orange and purple and orange and green. Well, really there is not a single color he is afraid to use. And that sort of thing does influence you, being around it all the time. These 2 pieces sort of came partially out of that and partially out of a low period in my life. I was really physically ill when I made these, with some chronic health issues, and I was also very depressed. I was visiting my friend Janusz, who has always been a good person to be around when I am not feeling well. He lifts me up . Anyway I created these dolls on that visit, beading while he was at work. (Also he introduced me to Southpark on that visit, but that's another story!)

Beaded Dolls

Be Who You Are
& Live Your Dreams

6" tall.

No comments: