Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sugar Skull

sugarskull1 by megan_n_smith_99
sugarskull1, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.
Sugar Skull is my most recent watercolor. First I drew the design in ink (pitt pens) and then I went back and added color with Daniel Smith watercolors. I was pretty happy with the results. It was actually a commission, for a friend who collects Día de los Muertos artwork. It was a lot of fun to do! For the most part it was just sort of freeform, but I did intentionally use marigolds for the eyes - "Its flower, the cempasúchil is also called the flor de muertos ("flower of the dead") in Mexico... The word cempasúchil (also spelled cempazúchil) comes from the Nahuatl term for the flower zempoalxochitl, literally translated as "twenty flower". In Thai language it is called ดาวเรือง [DaoRuang], literally translated as "star glittering" "
(from Wikipedia)

Sugar Skull
8 x 10"
Watercolor and ink

No comments: