Friday, January 18, 2013

I Never Liked Laura Ashley.

Two in Autumn by megan_n_smith_99
Two in Autumn, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I like to paint flowers, and I like to admire fresh flowers - preferably still attached to their roots -- but I NEVER liked Laura Ashley. I was born at the appropriate time but I simply found it cloying. There was a lot of abuse of florals going on from the late 70s into the early 90s. I did have a couple of Gunny Sack dresses - those were sort of sweet in a Little-House-on-the-Prairie / Holly-Hobby sort of way. I was once a bride's maid in a ghastly large-print floral. I think it came from Sears but it looked like someone's drapes. Any only Fraulien Maria could pull that off.

So now I paint flowers that are meant to be wild and earthy and bright. Not contained or tamed. Not duplicated. Just their selves.

There is probably some hidden moral, I'll leave you to find it.

3 comments:

Mo Crow said...

well said Megan! I have been thinking a lot about how so much of the decorative arts is stuck in a William Morris Arts & Crafts Gothic Revival time warp which was ground breaking at the time and still has a lot of good points about the value of the hand made and that everything we humans dei=sign in our world should be beautiful but that all started well over a century ago & here we are living in the 21stC!

Mo Crow said...

oops! that should have been design not dei=sign... feeling too enthusiastic this morning!

Megan Noel said...

Mo Crow - Morris does not bug me as much as Ashley - but I do love current artist's doing their own twist on it - like Tula Pink's Prince Charming Collection. It looks traditional at 1st glance but it quirky!