Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friends in Winter

Friends in Winter by megan_n_smith_99
Friends in Winter, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Soggy snow is falling in Seattle. I wish I could say it was pretty but it has not quite reached the pretty stage yet. Actually it looks like sooty dirty snow is falling from the sky. And just for great timing there is also a burn ban on, though I hope the county will think about lifting it temporarily if there are power outages.

This is my latest little painting. I actually thought these three friends were walking in the snow but it's a bit greenish. It's certainly winter since hedgehog has his scarf wrapped tight. Bear tends to run a bit warm and he's got his good tweed jacket on but did not feel a need for an overcoat. Owl is just wondering why he's even awake at the moment. He may have had too much coffee.

This was inspired by my love of Richard Scarry. I still have quite a few of his books. My favorite part is searching each page for gold bug. The new versions have been redone to by more PC - there are female fire fighers and cops, the word "person" replaces "man", the dentist is no longer a scary looking creature but is now a snuggly looking teddy bear, and the father animals now help the mothers in the kitchen.

Friends in Winter
5 x 5 inches
Watercolor and Ink on paper
Available on Etsy.

1 comment:

Pavonine Studios said...

This is so adorable Mei!!