Saturday, January 21, 2012

Creature in Winter and Lewis Carroll

Creature in Winter by megan_n_smith_99
Creature in Winter, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Here we have a creature in the winter I usually know with bare tree branches reaching into the sky in lacy patterns. At my house at least things are returning to usual - most of the snow has melted, but howling winds have moved in and i see branches and shingles down. (The shingles are not from my house!) I live near sea level and I just hope a lot of snow has already melted at higher elevations because this wind will be bringing down trees and branches and i hope they are not encased in ice - that will just do more damage. well, there will be more power outages. I hope my parents are not among them. Their power was out for about a day and a half this week. Where I live the wires are underground for the most part and outages are not common. Also I live a couple blocks from the hospital and fire station so this area would be a high priority to get back up.

Well, in case you are tired of hearing about the weather I shall move on to other things. I have been reading a bio of Lewis Carroll / Charles Dodgson which is enjoyable - though it does contain some overwrought sentences such as:

"Today the still-growing weight ad bulk of the Alice Liddell mythology flattens out Dodgson's monopolized life like a flayed skin"

"his self-loathing spills out to encompass everything about himself like a fat woman in front of a mirror"

"A vein of maudlin and humourless sentimentality ran through the middle of his deepest nature and expressed itself with lachrymose vulcanism when roused."

so... uh, good thing it is an interesting topic.

I don't feel well today so I think I will read in bed for a while. Possibly a long while, like all day. We'll see.


Creature in Winter
5 x 7 inches
watercolor, colored pencil, and ink on paper
available on Etsy.

No comments: