Tuesday, November 29, 2011

holiday ideas continued (part 5)

If you read this post, you know I used to publish a zine called Mysterium. For your reading pleasure I have been sharing 100 holiday ideas from an issue published in 2002. The world has changed since then, and I have changed as well, but some of these are still good ideas!

51) I might be wacky but I like to spend New Year's Day thinking and writing and doing art, spending a quiet calm day. It is also a good day for a fresh start. One year I redid all my shelf paper - we're talking excitement! It is also a good time to start a project you intend to continue through the year - a journal, a quilt, etc.

52) People with pets will appreciate pet care products as gifts but first spy on them a little to see what brand they prefer, since kitties may turn their nose up at the "wrong" brand. This is nice for someone on a fixed income, you know they will use it.

53) Gel pens! They make good gifts for artsy friends I also like Pitt Artist's Pens and Micron Pigma Pens.

54) If you can manage it you can give artist friends something they can use in their art. I've given knitters hand-made buttons. (I've made them from polymer and have made beaded buttons.) Handmade faces (drawn, sculpted, carved etc) can be great for doll-makers, etc. Handmade or purchased art paper would be a great gift for any sort of visual artist. Get creative!

55) Make sure you watch the Rudolph special. Bumble is so cool - yah Bumble!

56) If you write, write stories specifically for your friends. This is a great projects for kids to do, with help if they are younger. Or write parodies of favorite fairy tales or classic stories. Harold and the Purple Crayon is an easy book to parody, for instance. Print and bind your books, or have it done at your local copy store.

57) Firewood can be a useful gift for people with fireplaces, especially if their house is chilly or they live in a place prone to power outages.

58) I am sure my mother would love it if i would sit down and put all her photos in albums, since she is not into scrap booking. [Ed. note: I think my sister finally did this, but I have family photos I need to scan for her! CDs of scans of family photos can be a nice gift, costing little but your time.]

59) Once year I started a Yoga class on January 2nd. It met every weekday morning for a month. It was a great experience though I am not sure I can convince myself to get up every morning at 5:45 again.

60) Have a blue collar holiday - nachos, beer, bingo, and bowling. Or select another theme for your holiday. Fondue? Do you still have your fondue set? Check the buffet next to the pickle forks.


more tomorrow!

No comments: