Tuesday, November 22, 2011

100 holiday ideas continued

If you read my post yesterday you'll know I used to publish a zine and this list was part of the 2nd. I am going to share 10 ideas a day...

Holiday Ideas (continued) by Megan Noel, 2002, and 2011.

11) A gift idea for someone who writes a lot of letters... a box of cards, stationary, stamps, etc. If you want to get really fancy, include hand made cards and faux postage along with the regular kind of postage.

12) Film is a good gift, and so is a gift certificate for processing film, This is a gift you know will be used and appreciated. Well, if you give it to someone with a camera that is.

OK, now that is REALLY dated. So how about batteries, smart media cards, a handy camera case, or photo paper?

13) Start your own holiday traditions. Personally I have been collecting my favorite holiday movies on DVD. The Muppet Christmas Carol and A Wish for Wings that Work are high on my list. This year I think I will add Meet me in St. Louis. That's not technically a holiday film but it ends at Christmas and feels Christmasy to me.

14) Dare to be different. If you don't like celebrating the holidays, just take a little vacation. Even a trip to a scenic spot close by could be a way to check out of the holiday madness. Or go to the movies on Christmas Day. (Oh! Be prepared. One year I went to Chocolat and then I HAD to have some chocolate but all the stores were closed!)

15) Another way to check out of the stress is to make all your presents (HA! HA! HA!) or just pare your list way back to immediate family and very close friends, or just give cards. It's supposed to be fun - right? Not agony. Your Great Aunt Mildred will probably be relieved she doesn't have to crochet you another potholder next year. Be bold enough to break the cycle of meaningless gift exchange.

16) For your family and friends with kids, if you do feel inclined to give them something, rather than another toy or book how about if you just baby-sit so they can go out and do something by themselves, or take the kids for a day so they can stay home and be lazy by themselves.

17) If you are feeling cranky--that EVERYONE is going someplace for the holidays and you aren't--offer to water their plants, feed their cats, and cover for your coworkers. At least it makes me feel better to think about someone else rather than feeling grumpy, though I am good at that too.

18) Amidst all the stress and expectations, keep in mind that you don't have to please or impress your mother, your grandmother, your aunts, your kids, your pets, your partner, or your neighbors. And remind me of this from time to time if you don't mind.

19) If you think holiday decorations are too much work, don't bother. On the other hand, if you live alone and you think it's silly to put all that work into it when no one will see it -- but you always WANT to -- do it for yourself. Or do something weird. Get your turtle collection out, decorate your potted palm, decorate in some unconventional way. Or decorate for some other holiday, oh that makes me feel sneaky -- a Christmas tree with Halloween decorations on it. A Christmas tree with flamingos. Whatever.

20) Put lights in weird places. I used to have them in my bathroom. I also had a clear shower curtain so I could look at them through the drops of water when I took a shower. It was very relaxing. Oh, and leave them up.


more tomorrow!

No comments: