Wednesday, February 18, 2009

under the weather..

the reason for now posts, no pretty pictures..

i have been under the weather.. well, for about a month. then it got worse about a week and a half ago. and even worse about 6 days ago. then i went to the doctor today. he sent me to the ER. where i got some meds and what i really needed - 2 units of fluid. gravity was not working fast enough for them so they decided to pump it in which felt very odd. but i felt better after i had it. i was really dehydrated and still feel dehydrated but that did help.

i don't really know what is wrong, presumably it is "just" a really bad IBS flare-up, the worst i have had in years, and did not respond to the things that usually help. did not respond to anything i could do for myself. the doctor thought maybe i just got so dehydrated that it was making me feel sicker and sicker and i felt to sick to make myself drink, to say nothing of eat. so i am trying to get some fluids this evening. and i have a note to miss the week of work, which is terrible timing, but then i worked 4 days last week, feeling miserably ill, and just kept getting worse. i actually collapsed at work twice on thursday but still stayed late and made it to work friday. anyway. i think i am on the mend now and will check in with my doctor again tomorrow and continue to take it easy. all i have done is read and sleep and today, go to drs and pharmacies. it was weird to see the valentine's stuff on sale because it had not really hit me that that holiday had passed us by. really the last 5 or 6 days are a bit of a blur.

i was nervous that both my mother and sister are traveling without cell phones right now and i had no way to reach either of them. they are the only 2 blood relatives i would feel comfortable entrusting my medical care to, should anything go wrong, and of course i had to put someone down for emergency contact. well, i would feel comfortable entrusting my stepfather but he's not a blood relative and might not feel comfortable himself. though presumably he knew how to reach my mother so i suppose it would have been ok.

so that's my not-very-interesting news. and maybe i will have some art some other day, but yet.

2 comments:

Camilla La Mer-Soul Art Dolls said...

I am so sorry to hear how sick you have been! I am glad that you have a note to take care of yourself for at least one week.

I have been sleeping with one of the giant plastic water bottles with a straw that they give you in the hospital...that seems to be the only way that I can easily remember to keep enough fluids in me at this time. Cups of water don't interest me much, I guess...

Please keep me informed regarding your progress this week! I have been experiencing quite an unexpected battle in my recovery as
well...

Sending you much healing and love!

Camilla

Ellen said...

There must be something in the air - I ended up in the ER last week, I gave myself a delayed concussion by hitting my head the night before, which I'd not thought much of. But there I was having fluid put into me via an IV tube feeling like I was dying. So my thoughts go out to you & hopefully some good energy with it..