Thursday, May 24, 2012

work in pencil

I've been playing with pencil this week. I used to do a lot of pencil work in the past. The drawing on the top in this photo is from 1989. The other two are from this week. I'm using mostly mars lumograph 100 4b, and portfolio aquasketch 4b this week. I have not tried adding water to the aquasketch yet. The paper is Cartiera Magnani L'antic Cartiera Tecniche Miste. 140lb, coldpress. So it's actually watercolor paper and will probably be ideal for adding water to the aquasketch pencils. I bought it for watercolor but ended up not liking the texture for the type of work I do, but I do like it for pen and in and pencil.

3 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful to see your sketches, you work magic with pencil.

i love working with water soluble pencils, mostly colored. Sometimes with a pencil in black i take gesso to it.

Megan Noel said...

hm, interesting. you gesso over pencil? do you thin it down at all? does it peak through like a ghostly shadow? sounds like something i should try!

Tammie Lee said...

hello,
i just came to see your recent post and saw your questions. I simply dip my brush in gesso and take it to the pencil lines.... it did not, still does not come natural to me, but somehow i love doing it all the same. You can see some of my pieces here:
http://beautyflows.blogspot.com/2012/03/watercolor-pencil-and-gesso.html

since i use water soluble pencils they blend with the gesso. Have fun.