Monday, August 8, 2011

Plesiosaur: Swimming Through the Strata

I am feeling under the weather. So I am not sure I have it in me to make any witty remarks, but I am prepared to share this painting with you.. which I think I finished about 6 months ago.

Plesiosaur: Swimming Through the Strata
10 x 20 inches
acrylic and ink on canvas

Wikipedia says:

"Plesiosaur ( /ˈpliːsiəsɔər/; Greek: plēsios/πλησιος 'near' or 'close to' and sauros/σαυρος 'lizard') was a type of carnivorous aquatic (mostly marine) reptile. After their discovery, plesiosaurs were somewhat fancifully said to have resembled "a snake threaded through the shell of a turtle",[1] although they had no shell. "

Many people think the Loch Ness monster is a Plesiosaur that somehow survived from the KT boundary (65 million years ago) hidden in Loch Ness. Though I think that romantic notion, while appealing, fails to take into account that Loch Ness was frozen solid for thousands of years in the last ice age, no reptile could survive that.


Alas.

No comments: