Friday, August 26, 2011

Fox in Autumn

Fox in Autumn by megan_n_smith_99
Fox in Autumn, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I was really happy with how this painting came out. it took a few tries. I sometimes am not patient enough with myself and want everything to come out as a finished piece - but sometimes you have to experiment a bit and let yourself make some mistakes and false starts. It's easier with oils or acrylics because if you don't like something you can paint over it. With watercolor you can glaze over a bit, Especially if you are using paper with a bit of heft and tooth, but there are not a lot of "re-dos" in watercolor.

I love autumn colors and would probably use them year round if I did not push myself to experiment a bit with different color combinations and diversify. But I figure I can get away with indulging myself in indian summer and autumn for a while! It's been in the mid 70s--low 80s here in Seattle -- much cooler than most places -- but it is starting to feel like autumn is coming.

Fox in Autumn
5 x 7 inches
watercolor and ink on paper (windsor and newton cotman, 140 lbs cold pressed)
available on Etsy.

2 comments:

Mardi said...

I love the fox Megan. Those colors are wonderful! Please check your link, as it goes to eSty not your etsy store!

Megan Noel said...

Mardi! Thanks for catching that :) Enjoy!