Friday, April 20, 2012

Peacock in the Orchard

Peacock in Orchard by megan_n_smith_99
Peacock in Orchard, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

Trees
Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day, 5
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

I can't remember what grade we learned this poem at school, probably 6th grade. And I think I agree that trees are nature's poetry. No pun intended! The trees in Seattle have been getting a good long drink this week, with all the rain. I am looking forward to "May Flowers" - though actually there are quite a few April flowers out at the moment. I seem to spend too much time talking about, and thinking about, the weather. How human! Let's see, what else is new with me ... I went to a workshop at Worksource, a WA State agency that partners w/ WA State unemployment to help people find jobs. Learned a few things. Of course it would certainly help if there were more jobs available in my field. I am thinking of switching fields. I don't really want to but sometimes one must make choices like that. The thought of going back to school at age 41 is not entirely pleasant. And I will keep trying to make a go with my art as well. In addition to painting, this week I've been working on some new jewelry ideas that are somewhat unique - it's hard to find unique ideas in that arena because so many people make jewelry using the same basic techniques but I think I may be on to something! Maybe I will take some pictures later today or tomorrow. Perhaps there will be some more light later! It's a bit of a concern in my parts!

Peacock in the Orchard
8 x 10"
watercolor and ink on paper
Available on Etsy.

No comments: