Friday, November 19, 2010

crotchety.


original watercolor
Originally uploaded by megan_n_smith_99

it's been a long week. i am glad it is friday. they say it may snow in the Northwest this weekend of Monday. I am not really convinced, personally. I do not know what I am doing this weekend but I hope not a whole lot. I do have a ticket for the symphony on Sunday night. I am sure I will enjoy it but 8 pm seems like a rather late time to start things. I guess I am old and crotchety now! I have consulted dictionary.com and it tells me this about the word crotchety:

crotchety: given to crotchets : subject to whims, crankiness, or ill temper
(under crotchets it says: a : a highly individual and usually eccentric opinion or preference derived from Middle English croket, from Anglo-French, crook, diminutive of croc hook, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse krōkr hook)

Synonyms for crotchety : choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, irritable, fiery, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, raspy, ratty, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, snarky, snippety, snippy, stuffy, testy, waspish

i am not sure why the word for hook evolved into a word for crankiness but i bet my late pet hedgehog igle could tell me. he had hooks from hell to breakfast and an attitude to go with them.

No comments: