Monday, September 8, 2008

John Bellairs and Edward Gorey


The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb by John Bellairs
Originally uploaded by Mom Smackley

sometimes in summer i just want to lie about and read kid's books. probably because that is how i spent so many happy summers during my childhood. i have one particular memory of drifting about in an inflatable raft reading The Curse of the Blue Figurine by John Bellairs and illustrated by Edward Gorey. John Bellairs was my introduction to horror -- i imagine he was for many kids -- and to this day it's as scary as i like my scary to be. which is, i say as an adult, not very scary. but as a kid i was scared. almost all of the John Bellairs books had covers and frontplates by Edward Gorey, and i think it should be illegal to publish new editions with covers by other people -- i mean if you HAVE a Gorey illustration for something, you should use it.

so Gorey and Bellairs are quite tangled up in my head. and i have been reading about Gorey lately -- he sounds like such a lovable old coot, holed up on cape cod with his cats, avoiding people and writing wonderfully creepy books for kids. his house, Elephant House, is a museum, and i would really love to go there someday -- or maybe even work there, maybe they need a registrar. then i could hang out with Soren, too. anyhow, this is my toast to Gorey and Bellairs, sometimes when i read the books i forget Gorey did not actually write them. i don't know too much about Bellairs but i do hope he was a lovable old coot as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I was first introduced to horror by The Curse Of The Blue Figurine. I'm actually British, but came across it in the school library when i went to an international school in Holland in the late 80s, where most of the library (like most of the students) was American.
I remember being scared by the cover without even opening the book and the image of Father Baart stayed with me for years after. I bought a copy on Amazon a few years ago and was gutted to discover it had a new (and much less frightening) cover.
I found your blog, as i was just googling to try and find a picture of the original cover.
Cheers for writing a piece that I can totally relate to. It was great to find out someone else had exactly the same experience (though i guess we're not the only ones).

Mike

Megan Noel said...

It is really neat to hear from you! I am glad there are others who share my nostalgia for John Bellairs and Edward Gorey. I have been re-reading all of Bellairs' books and they hold up pretty well. It's true I am not hiding under the covers anymore, but they are still fun books!