Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A New Floral Lexicon

Watercolor by megan_n_smith_99
Watercolor, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to paint tropical flowers that is consistent with my style. It's a bit odd, actually, I feel like I am learning a new floral lexicon, because it's so different than what I am used to. I'll admit, there are some things I've painted that I probably won't be showing anyone -- but you can't really learn to paint other than ... by painting. Really, there is a limit to how much an instructor, a class, an article, or a book can do for you --those are wonderful valuable things, don't mistake my meaning! -- but at the end of the day you really only learn by painting, and painting, and painting. and sometimes making mistakes - watercolor, unlike oils and acrylics is pretty unforgiving of mistakes -- but you keep going, and you paint more and more, and eventually there is a moment where it all flows and it feels like flying, but those days do not come every day. I've learned to stop trying to reach so hard for them because they really just come when they come, and they come upon you when you are painting, not when you are reading about painting or even just thinking about painting.

so, just paint. if you mess up, turn your page over and try again. it's ok, you don't have to show anyone if you don't want to. just paint.

No comments: