Friday, February 22, 2013

Strings

Strings by megan_n_smith_99
Strings, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

This drawing was something I finished earlier in the week. I have not played my violin in a while but I pulled it out. I am sure it is dreadfully out of tune and I hope it does not need new strings. They are not very old - or at least have not been played on much -- but they should be loosened for long term storage and I do not think I did that. Well,I also did not intend it to be long term. At least having it out of the closet and leaning against the wall is a start. (In its case, of course.)

These sketches were more inspired by another violin - not the one I play. I have another one I got to paint. It's a 3/4 violin made in germany between 1891 and WWII. it is, i think, boxwood with a maple back and rosewood fingerboard. That violin is painted and hanging on my wall, and I pulled it down to be a photo reference for this drawing. I have another violin to paint, full sized. In theory the painted ones are playable but I still don't want to paint my good violin. I just feel a lot of attachment to it just the way it is - even if I have not played it in a very long time.

I'd like to draw some more violins... violas... cellos... maybe an accordion -- we'll see.

Strings
8x10"
pen and ink
available on Etsy

No comments: