Thursday, February 21, 2013

Art Girls - Art Saves Me

Art Girls by megan_n_smith_99
Art Girls, a photo by megan_n_smith_99 on Flickr.

This drawing started out as one thing and quickly turned into another. This often happens and I've learned not to fight it. It was sort of inspired by a couple of on-line art friends discussing how they wanted glue sticks for Valentines. Though I opted to draw regular old school glue instead, as being more interesting to draw and more iconic. And I actually don't use fan brushes much (though maybe I should - they do fascinate me) they ARE fun to draw. Mostly I use small round brushes - 2, 4, and 6 the most. Sometimes 8. Natural fiber. The synthetic brushes probably do last longer but are not the same. I don't buy super expensive brushes. They last a few months or until they couch eats them at least. With watercolor there is less a tendency to leave them sitting in water - which is bad for them. With acrylic of course you are trying to clean the paint out of the brushes so it's easy to forget and leave them in water. I suppose someone might tell you otherwise but I find that if I set a watercolor brush down mid-painting - without rinsing it off first -- it's fine when i got back for it. Which is good since once I start making art, I tend to turn of the logic part of my brain - which is also probably why i find art so relaxing. Like many people, I think way too much. That may be one of the dangers of being an introvert. Art saves me, it really does.

Art Girls
8 x 10"
Pen and ink
Available on Etsy.

No comments: